What do you get when you combine Jim Lahey's no-knead dough, low-moisture whole milk mozzarella and Boars Head 'Natural Casing' pepperoni? An afternoon snack that's nothing short of amazing!
I had settled in for a long afternoon of US Open Tennis. After seeing the insanely talented (and best tennis player on the planet in my opinion), Roger Federer go down two sets to love, I knew I needed to create a little love of my own!
Fondly remembering the pepperoni pizza's of my youth, I thought it might be just the pie to spice things up! The pepperoni pizza is a classic and Boars Head pepperoni will not disappoint. Be sure to slice it thin for the perfect amount of curl! Combined with the cheesy goodness that is low-moisture mozzarella (grate your own), I quickly remembered why I loved this pepperoni pizza so much as a kid! Homemade pepperoni pizza is so simple and attainable, use your Baking Steel instead of a pizza stone and you'll be blown away with the results.
While things didn't go quite as I hoped for Federer, this pepperoni pizza was a definite ace!
1 pizza dough
4 oz. fresh tomato sauce
3 oz. low moisture whole milk mozzarella *always grate your cheese, do not purchase shredded - please tell us why below...
Lots of thinly sliced pepperoni
1. Place Baking Steel on top rack of your oven. Pre-heat to 500 degrees or on full throttle (Preheat 45 minutes-1 hr).
2. Stretch or roll out dough to a 12 inch cylinder, or any shape will do. Lightly flour your peel and place dough on top.
3. Evenly distribute tomato sauce leaving about 1 inch around perimeter
4. Spread your grated mozzarella over entire dough and top with pepperoni, lots of it.
5. Launch onto the Baking Steel, bake until you've reached your desired brownness.
6. Remove from oven, take a photo for instagram.
Slice and Serve