If it looks like cheese, smells like cheese and melts like cheese...is it still cheese? Well in this case, yes and no! Meet Miyoko’s fresh vegan “mozzarella.” Made from plants, it’s my new favorite substitute for the real thing. For allergy-sufferers, or for those just looking to eliminate dairy from their diet, this is the stuff! The meltability is spot on, the taste is out of this world and it baked beautifully on top of our 72-hour dough. I love it and I bet you will too!
Pro tip: Place a chunk in the freezer as you preheat your Baking Steel. It makes shredding just a little bit easier!
Vegan Cheese Pizza
2 oz. no cook tomato sauce
2 oz. Miyoko cheese, shredded. (freezing it for an hour for shredding)
a bunch of basil
1. Preheat your oven at 500 F with your Baking Steel on the top rack. If you have convection, use it.
2. Stretch out your pizza dough into a 12 inch round, place on a pizza peel lightly dusted with semolina flour and flour. Think of the flour and semolina as ball bearings. Place your dough on top and give it a quick “shake”. Make sure your ball bearings are working properly. l; Switch oven to broiler.
3. Carefully spread the tomato sauce over the top. Remember less is more. Distribute the Miyoko cheese over the top.. Give it one last shake on the peel. Launch onto your Baking Steel.
4. Cook on broil for the first 2 minutes, open oven and give it the first turn. Switch oven back to convection bake and cook for 2 more minutes. Or until desired. Remove.
5. Garnish with cracked black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Slice and serve.