You'll go nuts for this extraordinarily delicious vegan pizza! Made with spelt dough, no-cook tomato sauce and a cashew-based "Parmesan", you'll be wondering why you didn't go animal-less sooner. Summer sweet corn and baby bella's round out this pizza pie for a perfect weeknight dinner that is spot on!
Cheese recipe from This Cheese is Nuts, by Julia Piatt. I love the pure genius of this book. I can't wait to try more recipes...Grab a copy!.
Pizza with Corn, Mushrooms and Vegan Parmesan
2 oz. tomato sauce
1 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced thin
1 oz. corn removed from the cobb, or frozen corn will do
1 oz. vegan parmesan - recipe below
1 tsp parsley chopped
1. Place your Baking Steel on the top rack and preheat your oven at 500 F for one hour.
2. Stretch out your dough to a 12 inch round, place on a lightly dusted pizza peel.
3. Switch oven to broil
4. Distribute tomato sauce, mushrooms and corn over the top. Launch onto Baking Steel.
5. Bake for 90 seconds, open oven and rotate pizza 180 degrees. Switch broiler off and bake for 2 more minutes.
6. Remove and top with 1 oz. of vegan parmesan and chopped parsley.
Cashew Truffle Parmesan
Recipe by Julie Piatt, This Cheese is Nuts
2 cups raw cashews
1 tablespoon black truffle oil, plus 1 teaspoon for greasing the dish
1 garlic clove
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon chickpea miso paste
1 teaspoon lactic acid or fresh lemon juice
Place cashews in filtered water in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
1. Lightly oil a 6 x 3 x 2-inch rectangular dish.
2. Drain the cashews. In the bowl of a food processor, place the cashews and pulse until mealy in texture. Add the garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, truffle oil, miso, and lactic acid. Pulse eight times, until the ingredients are well incorporated and you have an aromatic crumble.
3. Press the crumbled parmesan into the prepared dish, making sure you apply consistent, strong pressure to the entire surface until it becomes fused together.
4. Cover the dis and refrigerate overnight.
5. Remove the cheese from the dish by turning it over and hitting the bottom. You may need to use a knife to loosen the edges a bit.
6. Sprinkle over your favorite pasta or salads, or in our case PIZZA.