The Pimento Sandwich is a true classic, beyond its years and a staple at the Masters. A southern staple with many local variations, it can be summed up easily as a cheese (usually cheddar) mixed with mayo and pimento peppers. Served on crackers or white bread more often than not. We upped the anti a bit with adding a little whole grain mustard and then buttered the heck out of the bread and used our Mini to cook it to perfection.. Some may call it a glorified grilled cheese. Call it what you want. I'll be making this Masters Pimento while watching Patrick Reed win his first major.
Griddled Pimento Cheese Sandwich
2 ea slices artisan bread
2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 oz mild cheddar cheese, grated
1 oz mayonnaise
0.5 oz whole grain mustard
1 oz pimento peppers, chopped roughly
2 Tbsp butter
- Preheat Baking Steel Griddle on medium for 5 minutes.
- Combine both cheeses, mayo, mustard and peppers in a both until well mixed.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Butter side down on griddle, top with entire mixture and cap it off with other slice of bread with butter side up.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and melty on the inside.
- Serve with chips and pickle.