How do I olive thee? Let me count thy ways. Olives have been a very contentious pizza topping for years. So much so that it has taken me close to 5 years to try olives and cheese on one of our Baking Steel homemade pizzas. But let me just say....I am a believer! The subtle saltiness of the kalamata olives paired perfectly with the buttery, nuttiness of the Fontina cheese. Definitely adding this one to our "go-to" pizza combos. Live outside of your comfort zone this weekend-try the olives! I bet you'll be saying "Olive it! Olive it a lot!
Olive and Cheese Pizza Recipe
1 72 hour pizza dough
2 oz. tomato sauce
2 oz. shredded fontina cheese
1 oz. baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 oz. roasted red peppers
6-10 kalamata olives, pitted and rough chopped
Optional: crushed red pepper flakes
1. Preheat your oven to 500 F with your Baking Steel on the top rack.
2. Stretch our roll out your dough into a 12 diameter, place on a pizza peel that has been dusted with a combination of semolina and bread flour. Switch the oven to the broiler setting.
3. Distribute the tomato sauce, shredded fontina and next add the mushrooms, peppers and olives over the top. Launch onto your hot steel.
4. Bake for 90 seconds, open the oven and rotate pizza about 90 degrees.
5. Continue to bake for 2 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove.
6. Add a bit of crushed red peppers on top, slice and serve....