I was reading a blog post earlier this week and this word caught my eye, Khachapuri. Okay, maybe the picture is what stopped me in my tracks. Khachapuri is a bread stuffed with cheeses, baked and then baked again with an egg on top. I haven't been, but these are extremely popular in Georgia. Not the state, the country. As I do with most recipes, I wanted to recreate this gorgeous bread using my Baking Steel. As we have witnessed firsthand, the Baking Steel is a game changer, not only for pizza but for breads as well. I usually make a recipe two or three times before I blog about it but this one, I had to share immediately. It was just that good. Please go make a Khachapuri it is out of this world, you’ll thank me later!
1 Pizza Dough
3 Eggs (one for an egg wash)
4 Oz. grated mozzarella
4 oz. grated aged provolone
finely chopped parsley
1. Preheat your oven at 425 F with your Baking Steel on the top rack.
2. In a bowl, add both cheeses and one egg. Thoroughly combine for for the filling.
3. Stretch out dough into an oval shape
4. Place stretched dough onto parchment paper and place filling in the center, leaving a good inch around the perimeter
5. Fold dough inward around the entire perimeter, twist the ends.
6. Launch on to Baking Steel using a peel and bake for 15 minutes.
7. While your waiting, make an egg wash with the other egg, Separate the yolk and add a splash of water. Mix.
8. Remove Khachapuri from oven and crack an egg on the center, let the egg seep into the mixture.
9. Brush egg was all over the partially baked dough
10. Launch back in oven and bake for 3-4 minutes or until the egg is set.
Traditionally, a slab of butter is added with the egg. I omitted this step, but go for it.
Slice and serve.