The inspiration for today's pizza stems from a creation by one of our favorite students in pizza class last night. The only challenge to making this pie is trying not to eat all the olives before the bake. An instant classic, kalamata olives and pepperoni may go down as one of the most excellent flavor combos in the history of pizza-making....at least at the Baking Steel Test Kitchen. This week anyway.
1 72 hour pizza dough or store bought
8-9 kalamata olives, thin slices
2 oz. tomato sauce
3 oz. grated low moisture mozzarella
8-10 thin slices of pepperon
1. Preheat your oven to 500F with your Baking Steel on the top rack.
2. Stretch or roll out your dough into a 12 inch diameter round. Dust your pizza peel with a combination of flour and semolina flour. Place dough on top.
3. Switch oven to broil.
4. Spread the tomato sauce over the top, next add shredded cheese, pepperoni and kalamata olives. Launch on to Baking Steel.
5. Bake for 90 seconds, open oven and rotate 180 degrees. Switch oven back to bake and cook for 2 more minutes.
6. Remove, take a photo, slice and serve..