We transformed our pie dough into a gorgeous concoction that will surely delight all of your guests. A savory, farm fresh galette. The light flaky crust, the fresh, healthy filling. You can't beat it.
We used Tatsoi that we received from Langwater Farm this past week. Tatsoi is a spoon shaped leafy green, typically found in Asian cuisine, but has become more and more popular in the states as of recent. Fold it into salad mixes, use it as a garnish, or throw it in a delicious galette, it's going to taste great anyway you eat it.
Not every savory pie has to be unhealthy and full of protein, starches and fats. The one we made today is super delicious and very easy to make. Bake this thing directly on your Baking Steel, with parchment, and you will be blown away by the textured crust.
1 bunch tatsoi, root cuts and washed
1 sm vidalia onion, julienned
2 cloves garlic, shaved thin
2 oz olive oil
4 oz cows milk feta cheese, crumbled
4 oz tomato sauce (Bianco di Napoli tomatoes)
1 sprig fresh oregano
1 batch pie dough
1. Quickly saute onions, tatsoi and garlic in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Just enough cook to bring the green out of the tatsoi and get a little crunch out of the onions. Chill in refrigerator.
2. Roll out pie dough to 1/4" thick. Spread tomato sauce into a circle to shape the base.
3. Dump vegetable mix on top of tomato sauce. Sprinkle feta cheese around.
4. Start folding pie crust back over filling, creating a crust on top, while leaving the majority of the filling exposed. Egg-wash the crust if you desire an awesome, golden brown exterior and sprinkle oregano leaves on it.
5. Bake for about 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown.
Remember to keep your ingredients cold
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
8 oz butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
4 oz ice water
1. Combine all dry ingredients into food processor, pulse 3 times.
2. Add in cubed butter in 3 stages, pulse again. (looking for cornmeal type texture)
3. Pulse in ice water.
4, Knead out of processor until all flour is combined into lumpy/shaggy dough. Wrap dough ball/disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
5. Remove from refrigerator and roll out your pie dough. Stores in the fridge for 2-3 days.