2016 is here and with the New Year, we sometimes find ourselves feeling like we should start eating healthier, as hard as that may be. I saw some beautiful heads of cauliflower sitting in Whole Foods and thought to myself, Cauliflower Steaks a la Caponata, let's do this. I love the meaty characteristic of cauliflower and how well it takes on other flavor components.
Caponata is traditionally done with eggplant but we decided to take some liberties. We fired up the Baking Steel Griddle and went to town. Seasoned with a little turkish Berbere spice, salt and pepper, we seared these cauliflower steaks on the Baking Steel Griddle for about 4 minutes on each side, which resulted in a great crust. We finished them off with a fantastic vinaigrette and found ourselves in the middle of a healthy, tasty, vegan lunch. (And then we ate a pepperoni pizza...you could say, we're easing ourselves into a health conscious 2016).
Cauliflower Steaks a la Caponata (serves 2)
1 head Cauliflower
2 tsp Berbere spice
3 oz balsamic vinegar
3 oz olive oil
3 oz grapeseed oil
1 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
2 tbsp golden raisins
10 olives, pitted, chopped rough
1 tbsp raw honey
1/4 bunch parsley, chopped rough
pinch Berbere spice, S&P
1. Slice cauliflower into 1" slices. Season with oil, berbere, S&P.
2. Sear on Baking Steel Griddle at medium-high heat.
3. Vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and stir together. Let sit to rehydrate some of the ingredients.
4. Flip cauliflower after getting good color and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
5. Remove and top with vinaigrette.