Caramelized onions belong on the hall of fame of pizza toppings. If you ask the Huffington Post, mushrooms rank amongst the top 10 pizza toppings in the country. So, today we decided to combine the two. Considering I haven’t enjoyed pizza in a few days, today just felt right. As a bonus, we had some leftovers sitting in the fridge from last weeks pizza class. The dough was 7 day fermented. Pizza at home doesn't get much better than this.
1 72 hour pizza dough
1/4 onion, caramelized
3 or 4 baby Bella mushrooms, sliced thin
1 oz. fresh mozzarella, torn by hand
1 oz. shredded fontina cheese
1. With your Baking Steel on the top rack, preheat your oven at 500 F for one hour.
2. Stretch or roll out your dough into a 12 inch round. Any shape will do.
3. Place dough on a lightly floured pizza peel. Give it a shake, make sure that dough is loose on top. Continue “shaking” until you are ready to launch. Switch oven to broil.
4. Distribute the onions and mushrooms over the top. Next add the cheese. Bury those ingredients under the cheese.
5. Give your pizza one last “shake” before you launch. Launch on to the Baking Steel and set your timer for 90 seconds. After 90 seconds open oven and give the pizza a turn about 90 degrees. Close oven and bake for 3 more seconds. Remove and garnish with basil.
6. Slice and serve.