I hope you made some pizza dough this week, because this cheese calzone is going to make you and everyone who snags a slice, very proud. The technique is super simple, and there is a lot of room inside to for plenty of cheese. We kept this one simple and classic. We painted some of our no cook sauce inside and then stuffed it with fresh mozzarella and shredded fontina cheese. We just love the classics and hope you do too.
Classic Cheese Calzone
1 72 Hour pizza dough
2 oz. no cook tomato sauce
6 oz. fresh mozzarella, hand torn
6 oz. shredded fontina cheese
1. With your Baking Steel on the top shelf, blast your oven at 450 F for one hour to preheat.
2. Stretch or roll out your dough into a 12 inch cylinder and place on a lightly dusted pizza peel. We dust ours with semolina flour and bread flour.
3. Paint the sauce over half of the dough, next add both cheeses. Fold dough over half, it will look like half moon shape. Pinch the sides closed and carefully poke some holes on top to allow the steam to escape.
4. Place directly on top of your Baking Steel and bake for 20 minutes, or until desired brownness.
5. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice into 1 inch pieces, use some extra tomato sauce as a dipping sauce. Enjoy…