Back to the bread again. This time, Brioche, the butter bread. Brioche is an enriched dough, with lots of butter. This bread is great for pretty much anything from buns to rolls, to loaves for french toast, even serve it with some seared foie gras. It toasts great because of the fat content. and it tastes great because of the fat content. Really, its just great because of the fat content. But don't shy away, it's almost the holiday weekend and you are due for a treat!
Traditionally, most breads use water in the dough. This recipe calls for milk...even more fat, yum. This dough feels great. With the addition of eggs, the color and shine you get for the end result is just awesome. And these bake perfectly on our Baking Steel, just sneak a piece of parchment below.
The dough is so versatile and easy to work with. The hardest part is in the mixing. We made two shapes, hot dog and hamburger buns.
Brioche Dough (makes about 12 hamburger/10 hotdog buns)
85 g whole milk
8 g active dry yeast
125 g bread flour
20 g active dry yeast
2 ea whole eggs
140 g whole milk
325 g bread flour
25 g sugar, granulated
8 g salt, kosher
125 g butter, cubed
1. Sponge: combine milk, yeast and bread flour. Let sit for 1 hour.
2. For Dough: Mix your dry ingredients: flour, yeast, sugar, salt.
3. In stand mixer with dough hook, mix sponge and 1 egg. Add next egg until incorporated.
4. Add in dry ingredients and mix until combined.
5. Slowly pour in milk while still on a low speed. Scrape down bowl.
6. Add cubed butter in stages cube by cube so you don't have large chunks. Mix for 2 minutes on high once all butter is in bowl. Scrape out of bowl onto sprayed parchment paper lined tray and wrap with plastic. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
7. Preheat your oven at 350 F with the Baking Steel on top rack.
8. Pull out from fridge and portion dough. 80g for hamburgers, 90g for hot dogs. Place rounds on a sheet of parchment paper. Let proof for about an hour, longer if its cooler.
9. Egg wash the tops and launch onto your hot Baking Steel. Bake for 16 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool. Slice and create something delicious inside.