I was introduced to Ballast Point earlier this year. It's literally the most popular beer we serve in our pizza classes. It's a pretty amazing tasting beer. So today we decided to dump a bottle into our pizza dough. It's literally a 1 for 1 substitution for water. Instead of a cup and a half of water, substitute with your favorite beer. It's not going to suck, I promise...
If you need some ideas for your beer pizza dough, check out these killer ideas.
Beer Pizza Dough Recipe
500 grams (3 3/4 cups) bread flour
16 grams (2 teaspoons) sea salt
1 gram (1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
350 grams (1 1/2 cups) ballast point Sculpin or your favorite beer that has flavor
1. Take a medium bowl and combine all your dry ingredients.. Flour, salt and yeast and whisk a good amount, or thoroughly..Next add the beer, just pour it in and mix inside the bowl.
2. Remove from bowl and knead for 2 -3 minutes. Turn this dough into one solid ball.
3. Place back in bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel. Let this mixture rest for 24 hours, otherwise called a bulk ferment.
4. After 24 hours, remove from bowl and divide into equal portions. This means 3-4 portions, depending on your dough ball size. Next, we're going to make dough balls.
5. Generously flour your work surface. Next grab your dough and fold it in half, then lightly press fingers into center and fold. Turn 90 degrees in your hand and repeat. Continue this process 12 times. We are massaging the dough, not tearing it apart, so use soft hands...Next we're going to close the seam on the dough, pinch aggressively. The dough should somewhat resemble a ball.
6. Place dough balls into a lightly oiled container, plastic bag etc. We are going to let it rest in the fridge overnight. Ideally for 24 -48 hours. If you don’t have the time or patience to wait, it’s ok to use this dough after the initial 24 hour bulk ferment…
7. Prior to using dough, remove from fridge and let rest for 1-2 hours until it comes to room temperature.