One of my favorite treats on Sunday morning as a kid was when my mom would make pancakes for us. She couldn't make them fast enough-batch after batch would be devoured. She would make a stack of pancakes, warm the syrup, and pour it over the top. She used one of those electric griddles, the kind that gets about medium hot. The next round of pancakes would be slower than the first, as that griddle couldn't keep up with the workload.
Skip forward to 2015 and enter the Baking Steel Griddle. This heavy, 25-lb slab of steel, is going to give you so much heat, you could feed an army. Round 1 is equally as fast as round 5. So now your guests can all sit down to eat their stacks at the same time! This week, we tried Whole Foods Buttermilk Pancake Mix and Fresh Chef Craig surprised us with a secret ingredient, a fresh batch of cranberries. Throw them in the mixture for a little Sunday morning pancake happiness...
1 cup Organic Buttermilk Pancake Mix
2/3 cup organic milk or your favorite non-dairy milk
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp organic honey
1 cup of cranberries, smash a few in half
1. Pre-heat your Baking Steel Griddle on your stove to to medium heat
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until lumps are gone. Add cranberries, do not over mix.
3. Melt some butter over the surface of the Griddle and using a ladle, pour batter over Griddle for each pancake you want.
4. Cook the first side for about 2 minutes, or until you see bubbles forming. This means your pancake is ready to flip over. Flip and bake for 2 more minutes or until it looks delicious and golden brown.
5. Remove and stack, take a picture for Instagram and serve. Pour a lot of syrup on top...