Last week, Fresh Chef Craig and I were wondering the produce area of Whole Foods when we noticed they were handing out samples of a grilled cheese sandwich. Manchego cheese, with these beautiful looking Asian pears on Tuscan bread. My only problem with the sample was, that it was too small. I needed to make a version of this baby, I love making killer sandwiches on the Baking Steel Griddle. As does Chef Fresh Craig, you may remember a recent post where he dubbed our iconic grilled cheese, the "Griddled Cheese."
If you like gooey and oozey cheese and crispy bread, this is for you. Load up the Griddle and do 4-6 sandwiches at a time, invite over a few friends. The Griddle will get up to temp in 15 minutes and preparation time will be even less. Instant lunch. Instant succsess. Instant happiness. This is a grilled cheese sandwich you need right now.
2 oz. manchego cheese
2 oz. fresh mozzarella
2 slices of the bread of your choice
1/2 caramelized onion
1 asian pear
a few sprigs of arugula
1/2 stick of softened butter
1. Preheat your Baking Steel Griddle on medium heat for 15 minutes.
2. Butter one side of each slice of bread
3. Layer the manchego, sliced pear, mozzarella and caramelized onion and arugula. Top with other slice of bread, butter side up.
4. Place sandwich on hot Griddle and cook for 5 minutes per side, or until the cheese is very gooey.
5. Remove from Griddle with Spatula, slice and Instagram...