While snacking around this past weekend watching Ratatouille with my family, I came upon the ever so popular and tasty appetizer steaming away in a crockpot. Spinach and Artichoke Dip. A classic american appetizer with whatever crackers or vessel you care for. Whether it be celery sticks, pita chips, bread, the dip is a crowd pleaser. I immediately thought about breaking this snack down and making a pizza with the same flavors. I did have my secret weapon, the Baking Steel. Well, its just as good on pizza as in dip form.
When cooking toppings on top of pizzas, you want to always consider the heat and cook time of these vegetables, cheeses, greens, etc. Remember nah you are cooking on top of your pizza while in the oven, so pre cooking vegetables is not always necessary. For certain items, pre-cooking may need to be a necessity (i.e.-artichokes). For others like greens, kale, spinach, etc, you may put on halfway through cooking for its "prime" cook time.
Spinach and Artichoke Pizza
1 pizza dough
3 oz. poached/confit artichoke hearts
3 oz. fresh mozzarella
1 oz. spinach
1 ea clove garlic, sliced thin
1 ea pinch red chile flakes
1. Preheat your oven at 500 F with the Baking Steel on the top rack.
2. Stretch out your dough to a 12 inch disk.
3. Place your dough on a lightly floured pizza peel, and switch your oven to broil.
4. Top your dough with artichokes, sliced garlic and fresh mozzarella.
5. Launch onto the Baking Steel and cook for 2 minutes, open oven and spin the pizza 180 degrees. Scatter spinach on to of pie.Close oven and cook for 2 more minutes or desired doneness.
6. Remove from oven and drizzle with olive oil, salt and cracked pepper. Sprinkle red chile flakes.
7. Slice, take a photo and serve..