I've been playing around a lot with eggs on pizza. One thing I have learned is that timing is critical, especially if you desire a juicy yolk on top. This past week, I attempted close to a dozen or so pizzas with an egg on top. In most cases, the egg was overcooked. I refused to give up. I was determined to master the art of a perfectly cooked egg. First, I concentrated on par cooking the pizza dough. Mid-way through the bake, I would place my cracked eggs on the dough. I knew my dough would come out killer, I never doubted my Baking Steel (no need for a pizza stone when you have the Baking Steel). I was hoping for two things: to not overcook the eggs and to not over brown the dough. It proved to be a difficult challenge and my results were all over the place. In some cases, I overcooked the dough and in others, my "over-easy" eggs turned out hard boiled! Enter the Sansaire Immersion Circulator. My thought was, if I could sous vide the eggs ahead of time, I could drop them on the pizza, perfectly cooked. Brilliant right? Thankfully, my theory was confirmed and the results were nothing short of extraordinary. If you don't own a Sansaire or other immersion circulator, I highly recommend picking one up. It will drop you back a couple hundred bucks, but you will certainly create some "sous vide" love amongst your friends while elevating your status to chef extraordinaire at home!
1 pizza dough
3 oz. fresh mozzarella
2 oz. fresh arugula
s & p
1. Place Baking Steel on top rack of your oven. Pre-heat to 500 degrees or on full throttle (Preheat 45 minutes-1 hr).
2. Stretch or roll out dough to a 12 inch cylinder, or any shape will do. Lightly flour your peel and place dough on top.
3. Distribute fresh mozzarella evenly on top
4. Launch onto the Baking Steel, bake until you've reached your desired brownness.
5. Remove pizza from oven, tear and distribute prosciutto
6. Crack and drop two (Sous Vide) eggs on top. Place fresh arugula on top.
7. With a sharp knife, carefully slash the egg yolks and top with freshly ground pepper Slice and serve.
*If you do not own an immersion circulator, crack two raw eggs into a bowl. At step 4, remove pizza from oven and pour two raw eggs on top and continue cooking until eggs are cooked to desired doneness.