I've been wanting to make this sausage, ricotta and egg breakfast pizza for months. I finally got around to it this week. This one is a play off the sporkie from Bertucci's, one of my favorites. I just always thought it was missing an egg. So I dropped an egg on mid-bake to transition it from pizza to breakfast pizza.
Sausage Ricotta and Egg Breakfast Pizza Recipe
1 pizza dough, preferably a 72 hour fermented
1 Garlic and herb sausage pizza, thin slices (Raw) *
75 grams (2 oz.) tomato sauce
100 grams (2.5 oz.) ricotta cheese
1 egg, cracked and poured into a bowl
1/2 red onion, thin slices
Parsley, chopped fine for garnish
S & P
1. Preheat your oven at 500F with your Baking Steel on the top rack.
2. Stretch or roll out your dough into a 12 inch round, place on your lightly dusted pizza peel. Lightly dusted with flour or semolina flour.
3. Switch your oven to broil. Next paint the tomato sauce all over the top, leaving a little room on the rim. Add the ricotta, sausage and red onion on top. Launch onto your Baking Steel.
4. Bake under the broiler for 2 minutes, then open oven and rotate and carefully place the egg on top, preferable in the middle of the pizza. Switch oven bake to bake or convection bake and cook for 2 more minutes or until the egg is set. Remove.
5. Garnish with some chopped parsley and salt and pepper.
And remember to catch me over on Instagram.
* The sausage is going on raw. It is sliced thin and will have plenty of time in the oven to cook.