The great thing about making biscuits is that they give you so many other ideas. Breakfast sandwiches, sausage and gravy or just by themselves! What would you make with them?
Cheddar Cheese Biscuits (about 10 depending on size)
2-1/2 c ap flour
1 stick of butter, cubed
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp baking soda
3/4 c buttermilk
1 c grated Cabot Cheddar Cheese (Extra Sharp)
Preheat you oven to 400 degrees with your Baking Steel inside.
1. Combine all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk.
2. Create a well (large divot). Pour in your buttermilk and slowly incorporate into your dry mixture. The best way is with your hands so you can feel the texture through your fingers. A wooden spoon will do the trick too.
3. Add cheese and cubed cutter. Once you have reached your shaggy-mass of a mixture, go ahead and dump it onto a large cutting board or your kitchen counter.
4. Do a couple of folds and kneads to give you that flaky layered texture we all know and love. Roll out to about 3/4" thick.
5. Grab your favorite cookie cutters, whether they be round, square or in the shape of a football, any will do. We went with the conventional circle cutter.
6. Grab some of that left over butter in your fridge and brush some on top of your biscuits.
7. Go ahead and throw these babies onto your Baking Steel on top of a Silat or right on top if you'd like too (be careful) and set the timer for 14 minutes. You are looking for golden brown on top and bottom, which the Baking Steel provides nicely for you.