Every year when the seasons change, the dinner menus at the Lagsdin house change right along with them. In the spring/summer months, we lean towards simpler ingredients and lighter textures. That can sometimes be tricky with pizzas, so I decided to channel my "Figs" days, and throw down one of the bestsellers from my time at the pizzeria. On any given night at the restaurant we would sell 20-30 of these babies-spicy shrimp with caramelized leeks, boom!
Now, this pizza is Roman Style, so you are going to want to roll out that dough, cracker thin. Top that baby with our no-cook tomato sauce (we add crushed red pepper for the spice) thinly sliced leeks and the raw shrimp. The 4 or 5 minutes in the oven is plenty of time to give those "shrimpies" a nice little sear. Sprinkle the top with some Italian style bread crumbs and you are good to launch! Don't be scared at the thought of a pizza without cheese-the shrimp combined with the leeks will give you plenty to enjoy as you devour this pizza treasure!
Spicy Shrimp and Leek Pizza
1 Pizza dough
5-9 shrimp, peel and deveined
1 oz. tomato sauce, seasoned with red pepper flakes
1 oz. bread crumbs
1 leek, thinly sliced
crushed red pepper flakes
1. With your Baking Steel on the top shelf, preheat your oven to 500 F for one hour.
2. Roll out your dough with a rolling pin, we want to get this baby nice and thin. Place on your floured pizza peel.
3. Switch your oven to broil.
4. Top your dough with tomato sauce, then layer on all the shrimp. Spread bread crumbs all over the top, next distribute the leek rounds.
5. Launch pizza on to your Baking Steel and broil for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, open oven and rotate pizza 180 degrees, to promote even browning. Switch oven back to bake or convection bake if available.
6. Bake for 2 more minutes, get that crust crispy. Remove and top with oil and crushed red pepper flakes.
7. Slice take a photo for instagram, serve.