Pizza Carbonara, the Ole' Classic, a timeless treasure. We started with the idea of switching starch for starch, so we ditched the pasta and opted for pizza, and continued from there. We built our flavors in a couple different ways, adding onion into the mix, using multiple cheeses for texture, topping with salt content and of course, our sous vide egg offered an undeniable creaminess to the pie. I don't know why we haven't done this pizza before but I am sure glad that we can check Pizza Carbonara off our list. I may have to check it off a few more times this week.....
Oh, and we made it on the Baking Steel, because there is no other way to do pizza at home.
1 no knead pizza dough
3 oz mozzarella cheese
2 oz fontina cheese, grated
2 oz parmesan cheese, grated
4 oz pancetta, diced small
2 oz onion, sliced into rounds
1 ea sous vide egg, yolk removed
olive oil, salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven with your Baking Steel on the top rack for 1 hour.
2. As soon as you stretch out pizza dough to a 12 inch cylinder, switch oven to broil.
3. Place dough on peel and distribute fresh mozzarella, fontina, and onion on top. Give a nice dose of olive oil too. Crack a good amount of black pepper on top too.
4. Top with pancetta and launch your pizza towards the back of the steel and let loose. After 60 seconds, open oven and give the pizza a 180 turn.
5. Broil for another 1-2 minutes until desired brownness.
6. Remove from oven, sling your sous vide egg yolk on top and grate a heaping mound of parmesan cheese all over the pie. Throw a couple pieces of basil on it for good measure.
7. Take a photo for Instagram, slice and serve.