I first heard about pistachios on pizza from Chris Bianco at Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, AZ. His "Pizza Rosa" had a subtle simpleness about it (or so I thought). It intrigued me. I wanted to recreate this beauty in my home oven, using my Baking Steel in place of a pizza stone.
My first attempt at recreating this pie was two months ago. My preparation consisted of shopping for 4 basic ingredients: pistachios, red onion, parmesan reggiano and rosemary. How difficult, I wondered, could it be to layer four ingredients on a dough and bake. I was clearly overconfident and outmatched! Achieving the simple elegance that Bianco had created so effortlessly was a struggle. I had to throw away the evidence and trash the original photos.
I quickly learned that repetition was going to be my friend. Back to the drawing board! I'm happy to say that after a few more attempts, I have something to share.
My best advice before you start, is to never give up and to always be humble. This one was certainly worth the wait!
Create Some Love,
1 pizza dough
2 oz. fresh pistachios, out of the shell
4 oz. grated parmisiano reggiano
1/2 of a red onion, sliced very thin
sprigs of fresh rosemary
1. Place Baking Steel on top rack of your oven. Pre-heat to 500 degrees or on full throttle (Preheat 45 minutes-1 hr). Remove dough and let sit at room temp. for at least 1 hour.
2. Shell and chop pistachios and set aside
3. Using a mandalin or steady hand, slice red onion real thin, coat with olive oil and set aside
4. Stretch or roll out dough to a 12 inch cylinder, or any shape will do. Lightly flour your peel and place dough on top.
5. Carefully place and distribute grated parmigiano reggiano all over and press into the dough, leaving 1 inch around the boarder
6. Distribute the red onion and rosemary
7. Remove from oven midway through baking process and press in the ingredients. You want to avoid over browning the center.
8. Remove from oven with desired browness. Top with raw pistachios and rosemary. I attempted to roast pistachios, but was not happy the color, too dark..
Slice, serve and enjoy.