We decided this year for the Superbowl we were going to have a meatball day. Why not? Make a big batch and let the imagination run wild. For our pizza, we simply stretched out a dough, pulverized some whole peeled tomatoes, spread a bit of bread crumbs for texture, placed a few meatballs on top and baked. I like to make my meatballs with a combination of beef and pork for the wonderful texture and flavors. We topped ours with grated pecorino romano. This meatball pizza delivered. The best part, making a sizable batch of meatballs means you will have extra, serve them as appetizers or toss them in a bowl of spaghetti. This will certainly keep those Superbowl guests happy.
The Meatball Ingredients
1/2 pound of 85% ground beef
1/2 pound of ground pork
1/3 cup of chopped parsley
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
1/2 cup pecorino ramano
1/3 cup water
s & p
1. Combineall ingredients in a large bowl and mix with hands until mixture is combined
2. Using hands, make little round balls. Size is a personal preference.
3. Heat up a saute pan and cover bottom of the pan with olive oil.
4. Saute the balls until they are browned on all sides.
5. Place aside for your pizza.
1 pizza dough
6 oz. of fresh tomato sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs
pecorino ramano cheese
1.At least 2 hours prior to preparing your pizza, allow dough to rest for 2 hours at room temperature. Place Baking Steel on top rack. Pre-heat your oven to 500 degrees or on full throttle.
2. Stretch or roll out dough to a 12 inch cylinder, or any shape will do. Lightly flour your peel and place dough on top.
3. Using the back of a spoon, gently spread the tomato sauce evenly, leaving about 1 inch from the sides. Lightly top sauce with bread crumbs.
4. Cleverly place meatballs on top of pizza. Wedge them into the sauce to prevent balls from moving during the launch.
5. Launch pizza back into oven on broil and remove with desired browness.
6. Grate the pecorino ramano on top prior to serving, slice and serve.
Slice and serve.