When I wake up each morning, there are 2 things I've got to check off the list: yoga and my breakfast smoothie. I always try to get my "greens" in before I head to the test kitchen to start devouring pizza! Which leads me to this - why not create a mean, green pizza?!?
For this pizza, I decided to use two of my favorite greens, spinach & kale and combine them on top. The technique is a breeze! First, you'll want to "wilt" the spinach greens in a sauté pan to develop some creaminess. After you prep your dough, top with your cheese of choice, and the creamed spinach, then bake at 500F for 2 minutes. At the buzzer, give the pie a spin, add the kale and turn up the heat to broil, for an additional 2 minutes. That quick blast of heat will give the kale that sexy crunch (thank you Kenji for this technique)! Hello kale chips, meet creamed spinach! Delicious!
1 pizza dough
100 grams (3 oz.) raw spinach, wilted with slices of garlic
100 grams (3 oz.) kale, deveined and torn
100 grams (3 oz.) fresh mozzrella
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven at 500 F with your Baking Steel on the top rack for 1 hour.
2. For the spinach, heat up a pan on medium heat and add some oil. Next add the raw spinach and slices of garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Remove.
3. Stretch or roll out your pizza dough to a 12 inch circle and place on a pizza peel that has been lightly dusted with flour or semolina flour.
4. Switch your oven to broil. For the kale, remove stamps and tear. Place into a bowl and toss with olive oil. Set aside.
5. Carefully distribute the mozzarella and spinach on top of your dough. Launch onto your Baking Steel with the broiler on for 2 minutes.
6. After 2 minutes, open oven, rotate pizza 180 degrees and carefully place kale over the top. Switch oven back to bake or convection bake if available.
7. Cook for 2 more minutes, or until desired doneness. Remove and devour...