This may come as a surprise, but I love pizza. And I love sharing everything I continue to learn about crafting the perfect pizza. So, today I want to show you how to make the tastiest thin crust pizza, at home.
A few weeks ago, we showed you how to make Roman Style pizza at home. I've been making thin crust every week and it's quickly established itself as my favorite. We're using 40% less dough than our traditional pizza and I roll it out until it becomes a 12 inch pie. This is a healthy pizza folks! The Baking Steel does an amazing job of crisping up the bottom crust.
It's Friday and that means tonight is "pizza night." Let's make a thin crust. I encourage you to use smaller portions of dough, about 150 grams. Grab your rolling pin and squish the daylights out of your dough to about an 1/8 of an inch. Launch on to your hot Baking Steel and bake for 3-4 minutes. It will be the crispiest, tastiest pizza you have ever tried at home. (For the pizza pictured below, I topped with raw vine ripened tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and shredded fontina. )
1 no knead dough ball 150 Grams
3 oz. fresh mozzarella
1 oz. shredded fontina
1 vine ripened tomato thinly sliced
1 basil leaf
S & P
1. Preheat your Baking Steel at 500 F for 45 minutes.
2. Grab a rolling pin and roll out the dough into a 12 inch cylinder or until the dough is 1/8 of an inch thick. Switch the oven to broil.
3. Place dough onto lightly floured pizza peel and distribute the shredded fontina and fresh mozzarella. Place the thinly sliced tomatoes on top. Lightly drizzle olive oil, and S & P.
4. Launch the thin crust onto the Baking Steel and cook for 2 minutes. Open up oven and give the pizza a 180 degree spin. This will help the pizza cook evenly. Bake for 2 more minutes or until desired brownness.
5. Remove from oven, top with only 1 basil leaf. Add a little more olive oil on top.
6. Slice, take a photo for Instagram and serve.