It's spring and that means soon we will be filling our pantry with lots of fresh vegetables from our local farm. I can not wait. Lately, i've been seeing a lot of asparagus stocking the shelves at wholefoods. It was time to bring some home and toss it on a pizza. I saw shaved asparagus pizza a few weeks back on Smitten Kitchen. Pretty epically beautiful. We duplicated her efforts and shaved the spring asparagus, but also drop an egg on top mid-way through the baking. The egg makes this baby pop with color and flavor. So look, asparagus is starting to come out of the ground for the next few weeks, I highly encourage you to get your asparagus pizza game going, you will love it...
Asparagus and and Egg Pizza
1 150 gram dough ball
5 or 6 Asparagus spears, shaved
3 oz. fresh mozzarella
Spring Onion for garnish, sliced thin
Parmesan Reggiano grated
1. Preheat your oven to 500 F with your Baking Steel on the top rack.
2. We are going Roman Style, grab your rolling pin and roll this baby out, squish it nice and thin.
3. Place the dough on your lubricated peel and then switch your oven to broil.
4. Distribute the fresh mozzarella, shaved asparagus and then drip some olive oil on top. Meanwhile, crack your egg and put it into a bowl, set aside.
5. After 2 minutes, open oven and rotate your pizza 180 degrees, switch oven to bake and carefully place your egg on top. Close oven and bake for 2 more minutes, or until egg is set.
6. Remove from oven and top with chopped spring onion, s & p, and grated parm reggiano.
7. Slice and serve...