I've got a new addiction...it's the Baking Steel Skinny! I love, love, love the smaller surface area and how quickly/evenly this baby heats up. Five minutes and boom what?! Breakfast a la Skinny!
Today, we're talking healthy breakfast. Ok, it doesn't necessarily need to be healthy, but considering it's the most important meal of the day, we're starting the day off right at the Test Kitchen. Today our healthy choice meal consists of an egg, sweet potatoes, toast and a grapefruit.
While your Skinny is warming up, grab your mis en place. Translation, get your shit together! The idea is to plan and have everything prepped so that when that Skinny is hot, you are ready to roll! Start the cooking with whatever is going to take the longest and work backward from there. We're going to start with our sweet potato hash, follow that up with a couple slices of "steel" toast, quickly caramelize our grapefruit, and then finish things off by frying an egg.
The Skinny can make virtually anything, for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Try it at your own risk....you may love it as much as we do!
Follow these simple steps below for your Healthy Breakfast.
Healthy Breakfast Ingredients
1 Sweet Potato
1/2 onion chopped
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
2 Slices of Bread we used Food For Life
1/2 Grapefruit with 1 tsp granulated sugar
1. Preheat your Skinny Griddle on medium heat until step 2 is done.
2. Sweet Potato Hash - Cube the sweet potato and toss in a bowl with the chopped onion, salt, pepper and olive oil. Toss.
3. Place sweet potato mixture on top of the Griddle, cook for 5-6 minutes while continually turning mixture with a spatula, we are trying to cook evenly. Turn off back burner, and place potatoes toward the back of the Griddle.
4. Place two slices of bread directly on the Skinny and cook for 90 seconds, flip and repeat.
5. Crack and egg in a bowl and then pour directly on the Skinny. Cook egg for 3-4 minutes, meanwhile take your 1/2 grapefruit with granulated sugar and place sugar side down. Cook for about 60 seconds until caramelized, remove. Grab a plate and remove sweet potatoes, toast, grapefruit and finally the egg. Season your egg with s & p. You're done.