Paleo is all the rage these days. I haven't exactly transitioned to a Paleo lifestyle, but paleo pancakes have been on my agenda for quite some time. Don't run away just yet. Eating a Paleo lifestyle can be quite good. And if you are eating as much pizza as I am, taking a break from flour isn't a bad thing.
I have never attempted pancakes without flour, why would I? Ok, maybe i'm trying to encourage my inner demons for a healthier lifestyle. And breakfast is a good place to start. One thing I do know, the Mini Griddle is going to cook and crisp up the paleo pancake better than just about anything.
I made a couple of attempts at these this week. After struggling a bit with my first batch, Fresh Chef Craig had an epic idea. Whisk up the egg whites to create a foam and fold into the pancake batter. The egg whites would essentially create a better structure for the paleo pancakes. We gave it a shot, and these puppies were an instant hit. Nothing is going to ever replace a traditional pancake, but these flourless pancakes are a perfect healthy alternative...
Go ahead, I dare you to make these..
Foolproof Paleo Pancakes
3 bananas, ripe
3 eggs, separate the yolks
1/2 cup nut butter, (I used almond butter)
splash of vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
Fresh fruit and syrup (sorry, not a full convert yet)
1. Combine banana, egg yolks, vanilla and cinnamon in a food processor and blend.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk your egg whites until foamy. Set aside.
3. Place your Mini or Baking Steel on the stovetops and warm up for 10 minutes to medium heat. If you are a nerd and own a IR gun, about 275 F is ideal.
4. Fold in the egg whites into the batter. When the Mini is warmed up, grab some butter and melt all over the top. I used traditional butter, but coconut butter is a good healthy alternative. Using a good size spoon, place batter on hot Griddle. Cook for 2 minutes per side, repeat until the batter is gone.
5. Stack'em up and top with your favorite fruit and syrup.