We're kicking off 2016 with a fresh arugula and vine tomato pizza. This is the year of the healthy pizza. Let's face it, pizza gets a bad rap. We're here to change that. If you are making your own dough, and hand selecting your toppings, then you should have no guilt while indulging. I'm in favor of combining a cold salad on top of a scorching hot Baking Steel pizza. It's the best of both worlds.
The hardest part of making pizza at home, the right way, is preparing your dough ahead of time. And we're talking 3 or 4 days ahead. For Friday night pizza, I start my dough on Monday. That's a 24 hour bulk ferment at room temperature and then I move to the refrigerator for another 2 -3 days. Come Friday, that dough is in it's prime. (video coming next week) You've had all week to deliberate topping choices and now that your dough is ready, you can make all your dreams come true.
Today, we're making a farm fresh arugula and vine ripened tomato pizza. We're Satisfying our pizza cravings with this enticing, health conscious, recipe.
1 Pizza dough
Handful fresh arugula
3-4 vine ripened tomatoes, halved
1/2 sliced white onion
2 oz. fresh mozzarella
1 oz. fresh tomato sauce
shaved parm reggiano
1. Preheat your oven at 500 F with your Baking Steel on the top rack.
2. Stretch or roll out your dough to a 12 inch cylinder. Place on a lubricated pizza peel. Switch oven to broiler setting.
3. Distribute fresh mozzarella throughout the top and launch onto your scorching hot Baking Steel and cook for 2 minutes.
4. After two minutes, open oven and rotate pizza 180 degrees, switch oven back to bake or convection bake if available.
5. Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove.
6. Top with arugula, sliced tomatoes and raw sliced onions. Drizzle arugula on top with sea salt, and parm reggiano
7. Take a photo, slice and serve...