Summer is finally here which means for us in New England, the vegetables are happy. This is the best time of year for me. The farmers markets are bountiful, filled with daily picks, lush colors and tasty goods. There's no better way to serve these lovely vegetables then in a simple salad. Let the ingredients speak for themselves. It's so cliche but true. Don't overwhelm the flavors with crazy vinaigrette or soak them in some outrageously spicy sauce. Let them be free, give them a little love a bit of heat and let them shine.
Farmer's Market Salad
1 ea yellow squash, cut into rounds
1 ea cucumber, cut into wedges
2 ea sweet peppers
1 ea heirloom tomato
4 ea baby carrots with tops, quartered lengthwise
4 leaves basil, torn
10-12 leaves baby arugula
salt and pepper
1. Heat Baking Steel Griddle to medium heat.
2. Toss carrots and squash with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on hot griddle.
3. Get a nice char on the vegetables quickly and remove.
4. Toss all other ingredients into bowl and mix. Drizzle olive oil, half a lemon squeezed and a little more salt and pepper to taste.
5. Finish with a little lemon zest, torn basil and arugula.
6. Enjoy summer.