Scones are those really hard, triangle shaped biscuit-type things that you are afraid to break your teeth on, at those sub-par/chain bakeries that you (and everyone) go to for a quick bite.
I'm about to change your mind. All we need is 30 minutes of your time. Yes, really. You can have easy, hot, fluffy blueberry scones from scratch in under 30 minutes. These are moist and delicious, perfect for breakfast or snack, at any point during the day.
If you were to poll an audience of about 100 people asking them if they'd rather a muffin or scone in the morning, I'm pretty sure about 104 of them would say muffin. That's too bad, I'm not one of them. A delicious maple glazed, or orange-cranberry, or our own blueberry scone knocks any muffin out of the park.
This blueberry scone recipe gives you what you want. Great crumb. Great color. Great texture. Great Taste. The Baking Steel gives an amazingly even cook, and places a perfectly golden scone in the palms of you hand, just minutes out of the oven.
Let me know what you think, after you've eaten about 6 of these.
Blueberry Buttermilk Scones (roughly 16)
4 c AP flour
1/2 c sugar in the raw
2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 lb butter (2 sticks)
1-1/2 c buttermilk
3/4 c blueberries
2 tbsp buttermilk for washing
1. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda in a large bowl.
2. Add cubed butter and squeeze through fingertips.
3. Add buttermilk and blueberries and mix together until bowl is clean.
4. Roll out mixture to about 1" thick. Cut into triangles and put on parchment paper.
5. Brunch top of biscuits with buttermilk and sprinkle with more sugar in the raw.
6. Bake on top of your Baking Steel at 400 degrees for 13-15 minutes.