It’s summer...time for BBQs and ice cream, right? Wrong! Well, OK, right but you still need pizza in your life! And, you also want to rock your swimsuit at the beach which isn't exactly easy with all that dairy in your life. So, drop the cheese and substitute some greens! We're going vegan for this one. Your local Farmer's Market is loaded with FRESH EVERYTHING right now, so finding delicious greens has never been easier.
Take your greens and pulverize in a food processor, slowly add a little oil, then salt and pepper to taste. Boom, what? Instant pesto! Bake your dough, then paint the pesto on post-bake. And, for an added protein punch, drop an egg or two on top. Good eats!
Drop the Greens and substitute Cheese Pizza
1 pizza dough
2 oz. pesto Recipe below
1 egg cracked and placed in bowl
4 or 5 leaves farm fresh arugula
s & P
1. Preheat your oven at 500 F with your Baking Steel on the top rack
2. Switch your oven to broil for 5 minutes
3. Stretch or roll out your dough into a 12 inch round, place on pizza peel
4. Switch oven back to bake or convection bake if available, launch pizza on to your Baking Steel and bake for 3 minutes.
5. After 3 minutes, open oven and place egg on top. Continue to bake for 2 minutes or until egg is set. Remove.
6. Season egg with s & p, then carefully distribute pesto all over the top. Gently place arugula leaves on top.
7. Slice and serve.
1. Place a bunch of arugula, garlic scares and fresh basil in your food processor. Or any old farm fresh greens will do.
2. Add oil, s & p and pulverize for 2 minutes..Remove and set aside.