Often Andris and I are trying to come up with new spins on the classics in the Test Kitchen. Sometimes the juices flow, sometimes there's just no juice. Today, we have juice. Actually, we have a double-dough pepperoni pizza, and it's delicious.
We took our pizza...and added another dough to it. Think calzone, think whatever you want. Eat it and you may think differently. We cooked it similarly to our normal house pizza...with lots of love. Check it out for yourself.
p.s.- It a great reheat too!
Double-Down Pepperoni Pizza
(Serves more than you'd think!)
2 no knead pizza dough
5 oz mozzarella cheese
3 oz fontina cheese, grated
4 oz no-cook tomato sauce
12 pieces Whole Foods Pepperoni
olive oil, salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven with your Baking Steel on the top rack for 1 hour.
2. As soon as you stretch out pizza dough to a 12 inch cylinder, switch oven to broil.
3. Place dough on peel and distribute fresh mozzarella and fontina on top. Give a nice dose of olive oil too.
4. Spread your pepperoni around the pizza. Stretch your second dough out. Gently place on top of the made pizza. Fold excess dough underneath the bottom dough.
5. Launch your pizza towards the back of the steel and let loose. After 60 seconds, open oven and give the pizza a 180 turn. Cook for another 2 minutes.
6. Broil for 1-2 minutes until desired brownness.
7. Remove from oven, take a photo, slice and serve. CAUTION: INSIDES ARE VERY HOT!