A few months back we showed you how to make some incredible donuts derived from leftover pizza dough, where we used the Baking Steel in the place of a pizza stone or sheet tray. My youngest son, has an egg allergy and store bought donuts are virtually impossible to find without eggs, so needless to say these were a big hit, devoured in minutes!
So when we recently had some friends for dinner, I thought, why not apply the same principle/flavor profile to a stretched pizza dough and create an easy, group dessert that was also allergy-safe. Think elephant ear, fried dough....donut pizza! Crazy as it sounds, I gave it a shot and the results were stunning! I know this because "the thing" was devoured in less time than it takes to say donut pizza. The kids loved it and the adults had to draw straws for the last slice! So go ahead and create some dessert pizza love! And maybe help us give "the thing" a name.
Create Some Love,
1 pizza dough
2 oz. melted butter
2 oz. demerara sugar
1 oz. ground cinnamon
1 oz. powdered sugar
1. Place Baking Steel on top rack of your oven. Pre-heat to 500 degrees or on full throttle (Preheat 45 minutes-1 hr).
2. Stretch or roll out dough to a 12 inch cylinder, or any shape will do. Lightly flour your peel and place dough on top.
3. Paint the melted butter on top of your pizza dough
4. Generously spread the demerara sugar on top, next add ground cinnamon
5. Launch onto the Baking Steel, bake until you've reached your desired brownness.
6. Remove from oven, and coat the top with powdered sugar
7. Snap a shot for Instagram, (use the hashtag #BakingSteel to share with us)
Slice and serve and be sure to share...