Andris and I are were out to eat one day grabbing subs for lunch and the Chicken Parmesan one sounded so good. We immediately went back to the Test Kitchen to make our own version. With the help from our new friend, Mr. Baking Steel Griddle, we were pretty dang happy with our product.
A quick SBP (Standard Breading Procedure) on our butterflied chicken breasts and we were off to the races. While the chickens were cooking, we started stewing our pizza sauce with some love (basil and garlic) and soon started the assembly of our sandwich. We have the softest, squishy-ess bun out there, lathered it with some local butter and toasted them off. It's great having all of this room to cook multiple things at the same time.
Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
(Serves just one because you aren't going to share)
1 ea soft kaiser roll
6 oz chicken breast, butterflied
2 oz panko breadcrumbs
1 ea egg, whisked with a little water for wash
2 oz AP flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 oz honey mustard
olive oil, salt and pepper
4 oz tomato sauce
3 oz mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat your Baking Steel Griddle on medium-high heat.
2. To bread your chicken, first rub the honey mustard all over. Set up 3 separate bowls with the flour, egg wash, and panko.
3. Working from flour to egg wash to breadcrumbs, bread your chicken.
4. Once breaded, throw a good amount of olive oil on the griddle and plop the chicken on top. The chicken will cook for about 2 minutes on both sides.
5. At this time, heat your tomato sauce and butter your bread to toast.
6. Assemble the sandwich with bottom bun, then chicken, sauce, cheese and top bun.
7. Take a big bite!