Who doesn't love a good patty melt? Even vegetarian's will throw one back if no one's looking! To be honest, I think patty melts pass regular burgers on my list. There just that good! Think Smashburgers, but thrown on some sliced bread. I like to call it heaven between two slices. In all seriousness, the burger started on bread, not a bun. Let's make Patty Melts Great Again!
The BS Patty Melt
2 ea slices white potato bread
4 oz ground beef (80/20 is great), in a meatball
2 ea slices american cheese
4 oz caramelized onions
salt and pepper
1. Preheat any of your finest Baking Steel Griddles to medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes.
2. Season beef with salt and pepper.
3. Toast both slices on both sides, melting cheese on one.
4. Drop ball of beef down, flatten with back of spatula. Cook for 45 seconds.
5. Flip patty, drop cheese on top of it and top with caramelized onions. Cook for another 45 seconds to a minute.
Assembly from bottom-up: Bread, melted cheese, patty, cheese, onions, bread.
Make a few extra, just in case your neighbors smell them.