Have you ever met someone who doesn't like French Fries? Me neither. Crispy potatoes with salt and ketchup. Let's be honest, not much better than that. Most people don't have a countertop fryer at home and thats a good thing for most! No need to fret, we're going to use our secret weapon, the Baking Steel. The steel is going to blast a lot of heat back into the sheet tray resulting in perfectly crispy fries without the fryer.
Follow these simple steps to French Fry bliss! This is something you can have done and on the plate in under 30 minutes. Yes, most fries want to soak in water or blanch a couple times and chill overnight, etc., etc., etc., but to eat fries in under 30 minutes, this recipe works great.
Best French Fries without the Fry!
5-6 Russet or Kennebec Potatoes, washed, not peeled
3 oz vegetable or canola oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven with Baking Steel on top or bottom rack at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
2. Wash potatoes, cut into thin french fries, 1/4" thick (this is key!) Work fast and don't soak in water.
3. Toss potatoes in oil really well, want to coat them as best as possible.
4. Spread onto a cookie/sheet tray and place in hot oven on top of Baking Steel.
5. After 10 minutes, turn/toss the fries around. Put back in oven for 7-8 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
6. Remove from oven, toss with salt and pepper and serve with your favorite condiment, also known as ketchup.