This was our first attempt to make Jim Lahey's Stracciatella pizza. We ran into some challenges curating Stracciatella cheese, so we modified. The definition of stracciatella means "shred". I think we can handle that. Next time, I'm going to personally call a few specialty cheese shops and try and get my hands on some but for now, we'll stick with fresh mozzarella and we'll shred. Our variation utilizes mostly the same ingredients, arugula, tomatoes and cheese. On my pizza scale from Mr. Lahey's, My Pizza, this one ranks near the top. Like always, I used my Baking Steel in place of a pizza stone, the results do not even compare.
Create Some Love,
1 pizza dough
4 oz. fresh tomato sauce
3 oz. fresh mozzarella
3 oz. arugula
s & p
1. Place Baking Steel on top rack of your oven. Pre-heat to 500 degrees or on full throttle (Preheat 45 minutes-1 hr).
2. Stretch or roll out dough to a 12 inch cylinder, or any shape will do. Lightly flour your peel and place dough on top.
3. Evenly distribute tomato sauce leaving about 1 inch around perimeter
4. Place fresh mozzarella throughout, less is more.( This stuff oozes)
5. Launch onto the Baking Steel, bake until you've reached your desired brownness.
7. Remove pizza from oven, add fresh arugula and top with sea salt.
Slice and serve.