The leaves are starting to change, the crispness is back in the air and the local markets are loading up on apples, apples and more apples! So, time for us to pick up a few pounds of Macintosh and make some apple hand pies. I don't think it's even possible to make too many of these delicious treats, but we sure gave it a try!
Hand pies are just a mini version of the real deal. So, make your favorite crust recipe and prepare your apple mixture as you would for a pie, but think "bite-size" apple cuts. We've given you our recipe below because we think it's AWESOME!
When it comes time to bake these babies, we've got a magic move: slide your sheet tray directly on top of your Baking Steel for an impeccably, crisp bottom crust. We baked batch after batch. The pies were all imperfectly, perfect every time! The heat from the steel shoots up to create an even bake, resulting in that crust you crave! How you like them apples?
Apple Hand Pies
Pie Dough Makes enough for 6 hand pies
320 grams all purpose flour
16 grams sugar
226 grams (2 sticks) unsalted butter
25 grams (2 oz.) ice cold butter
1. After you measure all your ingredients, place in the freezer for an hour. We want this stuff cold...
2.Using a food processor, pulse the flour and sugar for a few seconds. Next start adding the frozen butter cubes. A little at a time, the mixture should be the size of peas. Finally, add a little ice cold water. Remove and knead the mixture together. Divide in half and form disks. Cover with wrap and place in the refriderator until needed.
4 or 5 medium sized macintosh apples, peeled and cut in cubes
100 grams (4 tbsp) brown sugar
10 grams (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
50 grams (1/2 stick) butter
50 grams (5 oz.) orange juice
36 grams (3 tbsp) corn starch
4 grams (1 tsp) vanilla
1. Take your peel and chopped apples and toss them in the brown sugar and orange juice and vanilla.
2. In a sauce pan, melt and brown the butter, add apple mixture and sugar and cook over medium heat for 1o minutes. Continue to stir, add corn starch to blend.
3. Remove from pan and place on sheet tray to cool.
Apple Hand Pies
1. Preheat your oven to 400 F with your Baking Steel on the top rack for 30 minutes.
2.. Roll out pie dough to about 1/8 of an inch. Cut out circles, squares, rectangles. You will need one for top and bottom. Place 6 bottoms on a piece of parchment.
3. Using a fork or spoon, place apple filling in the center of each rectangle. Repeat for all 6. Take the remaining pie doughs and place on top, the top should be forming a dome shape.
4. Using the back of a fork, carefully crimp the edges all around by pressing with the fork. Repeat for all pieces. Using the tip of the fork, poke through the dough on top to allow some steam to escape while cooking.
5. Take your egg wash and brush all the pies. Either place your parchment onto a sheet try and then launch, or place parchment directly onto your Steel. Bake for 15 minutes, remove to cool.