You won't see a very berry pizza-pie on the menu of your favorite local pizza spot. Not yet, at least. It may sound different but that's because it is. But it's also delicious.
We took berries at the height of their season and turned them into a delicious pizza. We made a fresh, lemon ricotta with a little sweetness and let the rest of the pizza speak for itself. The broiler blistered these gems just enough to give them a little pop.
The addition of our fresh, homemade, ricotta was great too. The creaminess from the cheese mixed very well with the tartness of the berries, a perfect match. We treated this like we would any of our savory pizzas. Pre-heated our Baking Steel, popped the broiler on and boom, delicious very berry pizza.
Very Berry Pizza-Pie
1 pizza dough ball
4 oz fresh ricotta
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz powdered sugar
1/2 c blueberries
1/2 c raspberries
1/8 c cane sugar
1. Preheat your oven at 500 F, with your Baking Steel on the top rack for one hour.
2. Stretch dough ball onto pizza peel.
3. Toss berries in cane sugar. Spread randomly on pizza dough.
4. Mix ricotta with powdered sugar and lemon juice and dollop on top of pizza.
5. Bake under broiler for 2 minutes. Garnish with lemon zest.