We get a lot of questions about how to clean a Baking Steel. The process, while pretty simple, is important. By following these steps, you’ll ensure that your Baking Steel will be around to make perfect pizzas for years to come.
1. Place a cool Baking Steel in the sink and run some water over it.
2. Use a bench scraper or dough scrapper to remove stuck-on cheese or other big pieces of food.
3. Apply dish soap to your Baking Steel and scrub with the backside of a sponge.
4. Rinse your clean Baking Steel and dry it with a towel. Make sure your Baking Steel is thoroughly dry after cleaning.
5. If you have an Earthstone Cleaning brick, lightly scour any remaining rough spots. Bricks can wear out fast, only use it for the final scrubbing if needed. This will assure they last a long time.
6. This is also a great opportunity to re-season your steel.