At Baking Steel, we’re all about creating some love. What better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than with a special dessert pizza? This year, forget the box of chocolates and make your sweetie this Valentine’s pizza with chocolate dough.
The dough we used is a slight alteration on the no knead dough. I just added some cocoa and a bit of sugar to sweeten it up. You can top it with any dessert ingredients you like, but I went wild with strawberries, chocolate and marshmallows. Oh and ice cream for good measure.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Chocolate Pizza Dough Ingredients
- 225 grams of bread flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 30 Grams Cocoa powder (2 tablespoons)
- 20 Grams sugar (1 heaping tablespoon)
- 10 grams salt (1 tsp)
- 1 gram active dry yeast (1/4 tsp)
- 175 grams water or 3/4 cup
Whisk all of the dry ingredients together in your mixing bowl
Gradually add ¾ cup (96 grams) of water
With either a wooden spoon or your hands, blend all of the ingredients together
Once the ingredients have bonded, move mixture to a clean bowl and cover kitchen towel. Wet your towel beforehand and ring out all of the water so that it is slightly damp. This will help prevent the top of your dough from drying out. Or cover with plastic wrap
Let the dough sit at room temperature for 18 hours, it will have at least doubled in volume. Tiny little air bubbles should be evident.
Transfer dough to a floured work surface. Gently shape into a rough rectangle. Divide into equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time, gather 4 corners to center to create 4 folds. Turn seam side down and mold gently into a ball. Dust dough with flour; set aside on work surface or a floured baking sheet. Repeat with remaining portions. Dough is ready, for more flavor, store in round container in fridge for 2-3 days.
Valentine’s Pizza Toppings
- 3 or 4 finely sliced strawberries
- a handful chocolate chips coarsely chopped
- handful of marshmallows
- 2 - 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- 1 tablespoon of butter
1. Preheat oven with Baking Steel on top rack at 500 F for one hour.
2. Stretch dough into a 12 inch cylinder and place on lubricated peel.
3. Launch pizza onto Baking Steel and bake 5 minutes.
4. Place a generous handful of marshmallows and a tablespoon of butter in pan. Heat marshmallows, stirring occasionally until melted.
5. Remove pizza
5. Top pizza with marshmallow mixture, strawberries, chocolate and ice cream
6. Slice and serve