This is not going to be your average Baking Steel Blog Post for the week. The sun is coming out. The warmth is here (kinda) and we are all happy and giddy inside. This can only mean one thing. ICE CREAM! But not just any type of ice cream. Ice cream made on a Baking Steel Griddle.
Now Griddle and Ice cream may not exactly make sense in your head right now, but we are gunna have you pegged for this by the time you scroll to the bottom. 15-Second Ice Cream, for real.
We made the nicest, most beautiful creme anglaise (ice cream base) with our lovely, full of fat milk from Crescent Ridge Dairy. We then took our Baking Steel Griddle and placed it on top of some dry ice pellets (caution, don't handle with bare hands, stuff is cold). After only minutes, the griddle was below -38 F and ready to churn.
Check out the video above to see the Ice Cream action! (recipe below)
15-Second Ice Cream
4 ea egg yolks
1/4 c granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped, pod reserved
1 c whole milk (Crescent Ridge Dairy)
1 c heavy cream (Crescent Ridge Dairy)
1. Prepare an ice-water bath. Beat yolks, sugar, and salt with a whisk until pale yellow and thick, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, scrape vanilla seeds into a medium saucepan, and add pod, milk, and cream. Bring to a boil (more like a hard simmer), then remove from heat.
3. Gradually mix half the hot milk mixture into yolk mixture until just combined. Pour yolk-milk mixture into saucepan with remaining milk mixture. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick enough to coat back of spoon and hold a line drawn by your finger, 4 to 6 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place bowl in ice-water bath, and let stand chilled.
4. Place dry ice pellets on top of a cookie sheet as a holder. Place Baking Steel Griddle on top of the ice and wait 5 minutes.
5. Pour chilled creme anglaise on top of chilled griddle and work quickly with bench scrapers. Will freeze VERY QUICK on you so work fast and you will have the most creamy ice cream you have ever had!